OPINION: Power, Affluence, And Influence Are vanity, Why Man's Inhumanity to Man? | By Isah Bala


Through the short period on earth, I've watched the powerful men of yesterdays become helpless as death struck when they thought they were at the pick of their goals.
I've watched presidents, powerful politicians, military generals, and respected scholars dragged to the mudy earth and left at the mercy of termites and thunderous rain.



I wasn't too young to remember how Nelson Mandela was celebrated as a living African legend and how we were forced to read about him, I watched in shock as life fizzled out of the Madiba of Africa and packaged in a casket.

No! I wasn't too young to recall how President Musa Yaradua  rose to the exalted seat of Nigerian President, fell and buried in Danmarna, Katsina State.
In my very eyes, "The Maradona of Nigeria" with much influence and affluence was confined to a wheelchair and watch the affairs of a country he once held on his palm being decided upon.

I watched the celebrated Prof. Dora Akunyili, the strong and hope of thousands of Nigerian women fell to the claws of death on a street of India.
                                  
No! I wasn't too young to recall how the mighty Sultan of Sokoto and President General of Nigeria's Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs, Alhaji Muhammadu Maccido; Sokoto State Deputy Governor, Alhaji Garba Mohammed; two Senators, Sule Yari Gandi and Badamasi Maccido, who was also the Sultan's son fell amidst their might and affluence in the ill-fated aircraft belonging to the Aviation Development Company (ADC) in 2006 and consumed by filthy earth.
In my own very eyes, I watched with utter bewilderment as Prince Audu Abubakar, the Adoja of Kogi state costing to victory but never live to hear and celebrate his merited victory.

With my own eyes, I watched Ezekiel Afon, lawmaker representing Pengana constituency in the Plateau State House of Assembly died few hours after winning his re-election bid.

Yes in my own very eyes, I watched the literary icon, Chinua Achebe fell and buried in Ogidi, Anambra State.
I watched the young successful war-commandant, Lt. Colonel Muhammad Abu Ali fell at the battle field, leaving his young wife and kid behind.

Death is never tired of striking, the sting of death is never expunged as I watched again, the Kogi born Nigerian-Canadian foremost Professor, the king of satire, Professor Pious Adesanmi fell and consumed in the flame of vanity.

Within the short years I've spent on earth, I've celebrated and read about strong men and women and watched them with tears as they fell cheaply amidst their power, affluence, influence and knowledge.
If this is life, why so much greed, avarice, evil and man's inhumanity to man?
If this is life, why would one person squander the resources meant for the general public?

Dear compatriots, know that power, influence, affluence are transient, make best of what you are blessed with before you become part of history.
#IsahBala

Comments

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: The comments on the blog are the views and opinions of the readers and does not represent that of Confluence Reporters.

Popular posts from this blog