OPINION: Natasha Akpoti Is A VICTOR In The Hearts of Those Who Won't sleep Till She Gets Justice | By Akin Fadeyi

Petra Oluwamajente Onyegbule called me severally. She  sounded very worried. Told me to please be awake, alert and about for Natasha H Akpoti few days before the Presidential and NASS elections.
Natasha Hadiza Akpoti 



I had published my opinion about the dangers she faced in her state where certain men already concluded  a single mother's political  ambition was sacrilegious. I told Petra to calm down and we started working the phones!

Few hours later, same day,  her followers were allegedly arrested by Yahaya Bello's compromised Agents of state. Natasha called me and was weeping. She told me she's right at the station and would remain there until they were released. She dared the guns. Trust me, she did! I was touched.

While that was going on, her Uncle and his kids were arrested. While that was going on, her family house was set ablaze. It took the intervention of the community youths who believed in her to put the fire out. She was facing multifarious knive-stabbing from poisoned souls.

I sensed she might be in danger, and told her.  she told me, for her supporters, she was ready to die! She said Enesi Ojo, her Youth Leader was already murdered,  gunned down. She sent me pictures of her supporters brutally matcheted the previous night at her campaign. She said Governor Yahaya  Bello was prepared to kill her and she would not bow out in cowardice.

Natasha called the DIG Ops. He told her to hand the phone to the DPO....The DPO reportedly rebuffed his Boss. He said "Natasha's supporters were formenting trouble". Imagine that?

I knew there and then that the air was gathering a thick smoke of perils. I started making calls here and there.

A very effective call was the one I placed to the Learned Silk, Barr. Femi Falana (SAN). He said Natasha "was part of a stakeholders security meeting in Lokoja the previous day, "please, tell her to call me right now", he added.

I tild told her, She called him, Falana was so swift and expeditious. He got the IG involved and she got her supporters to breath the air of freedom. Natasha did not go home! Back on the field they headed with high-pitch campaign to the very last minute. Where does she get her energy from?!

I called a great gentleman and Brother, who might not want his name mentioned here...But by all means a very respectable  and globally recognized Nigerian. He took the report of Natasha's persecution from me by mail and got it across to the right quaters. One day, some individuals in this country will be facing the music for their penchant for murder and brutality.  These things really never go away!

While some politicians push their supporters out and hide in fortified mansions till results are announced, she was at the battlefront all through. In the scorching sun, in the cloudy rains and under very grave circumstances.

In all of these, she polled about 48,000 votes, "losing" to her APC challenger who barely polled 60,000. Very contestable 60,000!
She fought a great battle. Her victory denied is not an electoral defeat.  She's a VICTOR in the hearts of those who won't sleep till she gets justice!

For her resilience, tenacity of purpose,  and uncommon bravery,  Natasha H Akpoti, is THE REVELATION AND REAL HERO OF THE 2019 DEMOCRATIC STRUGGLE!
Kudos to you, Petra, for standing by another woman to actualize her dreams. A good heart it is called!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog